Monday, April 16, 2018

Moore as an Author

Lorrie Moore, I think, has some really nice lines. For example, from “How”:

He is living rooms and turkey and mantels and Vicks, a nip at the collarbone and you do a slow syrup sink into those arms like a hearth, into those living rooms, well hello Mary Lou.

Personally, I think that’s pretty compelling. It conjures up images of domesticity and comfort and a quintessential American middle class life. Or, take this from “How to Talk to Your Mother (Notes)”:

Think about your mother. Sometimes you confuse her with the first man you ever loved, who ever loved you, who buried his head in the pills of your sweater and said magnificent things like “Oh god, oh god,” who loved you unconditionally, terrifically, like a mother.

This quote implies lots of things about what a mother ideally is like, and its similarities with first love, and also the intensity of these experiences, free of disillusionment. By themselves, these sort of snippets already have emotions attached and a certain amount of impact. The thing is, though, I feel, is that Moore tries to do this way too often, and ends up with stories full of interchangeable lines. Sure, there are some things that would need to stay consistent in order for the story to retain its plot, but so much could be moved around and the story would still keep its feeling. In a way, it seems a bit uninspired. 

Speaking of uninspired, another descriptor that I think could fit Moore’s writing (at least in Self-Help), would be lifeless. Her characters are often in perhaps relatable situations (divorce, infidelity, death or sickness of a loved one, etc.), and yet they’re sort of unrelatable. Sure, you can recognize the similarities in your experiences and theirs, and perhaps even shared feelings, but you can’t really feel for them much. There isn’t a whole lot of sympathy you can give them. Maybe it’s because they seem just a slightly bit detestable?

 Sometimes I get a bit confused because I’m not sure of Moore’s intentions. I’m not certain if she’s purposefully making her characters pretentious or apathetic or dislikable, and is trying to say something with that, or if she just doesn’t mind and doesn’t really have anything more interesting to say. I suppose it might be similar to being an English teacher and trying to find deeper meanings in your students’ work. Most of the time, in that case, though, there really isn’t anything to find, and the student is astonished when the teacher somehow manages to draw some obscure connections into something meaningful (I’m mainly thinking of Dr. E to be honest).

If you’re the sort of person who brings up things like your partner not knowing what supercilious means or who Coriolanus is in efforts to make them seem lesser, you can take a hike. Same if you care more about the ‘art’ and ‘creativity’ and ‘intelligence’ and ‘defiance’ of your death than actually planning it out well and self-reflecting on what you really want and why you’re really doing what you’re doing. I mean, yeah, I guess I’m also offended by how Moore portrays her characters. Usually, in books, you might have main characters who seem sort of morally corrupt or unlikable or what have you, but they also have some redeemable qualities. Or, the author is skilled enough to make us aware of their intentions and sympathize with the main character.

I guess it’s just a strange experience reading this different stuff.

6 comments:

  1. I think I have to disagree with you here. I like that Moore makes her characters feel "apathetic or dislikable" because it feels true. Like, real people in the scenarios she writes probably wouldn't feel full-of-life. They aren't necessarily supposed to be relatable, in my opinion, they're just sort of there, if that makes sense. I definitely think that Moore gets over-poetic at times, but personally I don't think it takes away from her narratives. The way she writes feels a bit like middle-school-angst but aged up, and not in a bad way, to the problems that arise from the mundanity of growing up. Whether we're supposed to identify with her characters or not, in my opinion, they feel true to their situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you that Moore has some really great lines (I personally like when she plays with words). But I also disagree with you because I think Moore purposely makes her characters "basic", which I like because (like Kat says) it's almost relatable because not every character in a book can be super cool and unique. I also think this ties into her "how-to" style – we can take the things happening in her character's lives (because they aren't that "out there') and apply them to our own

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that Moore can, at times, feel a bit suffocating in the characters she seems to shove down our throats. None of them seemed that different from each other and I really don't know who was supposed to relate to the whole "And I date man after man, I hate them, I hate myself" bit she seemed to go for frequently. She's definitely an amazing writer, but I found that element of her work tiresome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell you had a strong negative reaction to Moore's writing style. I definitely didn't find her stories as compelling as I found some of the other writing we've read in this class, but I appreciated the flow of the writing in a number of them even if I didn't fine it particularly profound. Also, I'm still wondering what the random mention of a blonde woman with barrettes carrying her shoes was all about in that one story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog post was super interesting! But personally, I think I disagree. While I can understand what you said about having a lot of interchangeable lines, I saw it differently. I think for me, reading Moore was like watching a movie of someone's memories, and it would make sense that the most emotional moments would stick with you. Or sometimes, it's just random snippets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, I think Moore definitely presents an interesting writing style. As you say, she presents the characters in a very delicate and descriptive manner, but often times portraying them as sort of without energy or passion, "lifeless," as you say. One thing that I think has to do with this portrayal is the theme of her stories. We get themes of divorce, depression, even death, and I think her character descriptions might just match up to the events in her story. It would be interesting to read Moore's take on a much different plot line than what we've read so far.

    ReplyDelete